Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New face of English: Adjective getting changed to verb

"Hi Darling! How are you? What were you doing so late in the night?", a guy asked her girlfriend.

"I was thinking of you.", she replied.

Did anything sound awkward? No...

Lets have another one...I am sure we must have seen the advertisement of McDonalds. We see a statement finally when the ad is about to end. " I am loving it."

Something must have started strking your minds.Yes, I was trying to show you how english has changed in everyday usage. Thinking is still acceptable(at least dictionary.com says it) but what about loving. Is this a verb or adjective? Or are we grown so much that we forgot the difference of adjective and verb...I remember one more example of missed call...people very frequently say that give me a miss call and I will come outside...even I do it sometime....but is that a correct usage?? Think for a while.

I think this all must be sounding pedagogical but this is english...I remember one famous dialogue from an old movie...I am not sure how to write pronunciation but the crux of that thing was Dharmendra asking why is pronunciation of put not same as cut and but.

No comments: